Roti canai is a type of flatbread from Malaysia that is often served with a variety of curries or as a side dish. Here is a recipe for making roti canai:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup of ghee, melted
- Water as needed
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Mix well.
- Add the melted ghee to the flour mixture and mix it in with your hands until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Slowly add water to the mixture, one tablespoon at a time, and knead the dough until it becomes smooth and elastic. The dough should be slightly sticky.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let it rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Once the dough has rested, divide it into small balls, around golf ball size.
- Roll out each ball of dough into a thin circle, around 8-10 inches in diameter.
- Heat a griddle or skillet over medium-high heat. Once the griddle is hot, place the rolled-out dough on it and cook for about 30 seconds on each side, or until golden brown spots appear.
- Remove the roti canai from the griddle and gently stretch it out with your hands to make it as thin as possible.
- Fold the roti canai in half and then in half again to form a triangle.
- Repeat the process with the remaining dough balls.
- Serve the roti canai hot with your favorite curry or with a side of dal or chutneys.
Note: Roti Canai is known for its fluffiness and stretchiness, so don’t be afraid to stretch the dough as much as you can.
How to make chicken curry
Chicken curry is a dish that can vary greatly depending on the region and culture. Here is a recipe for making a basic Indian-style chicken curry:
- 1 lb of boneless chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger, minced
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup of tomato puree or crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups of water
- 2 tbsp oil
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, and ginger and sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Add the cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt to the pan and stir to combine. Cook for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add the chicken to the pan and stir to coat it in the spice mixture. Cook for 5-7 minutes, until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the tomato puree or crushed tomatoes to the pan and stir to combine. Add the water, bring the mixture to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pan and let the curry simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
- Remove the pan from heat and let the curry cool for a few minutes.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with rice or roti.
The recipe is just a basic one, you can adjust the spices and ingredients according to your preference. You can also add different vegetables like potatoes, carrots, bell peppers, and make it more rich by adding coconut milk or cream.
How to make tea tarik
Tea tarik is a popular traditional tea drink in Malaysia and Singapore that is known for its smooth and frothy texture. Here is a recipe for making tea tarik:
- 2 cups of water
- 2 tbsp of loose-leaf black tea or 2 tea bags
- 1/2 cup of sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup of evaporated milk (optional)
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a pot.
- Add the loose-leaf black tea or tea bags to the boiling water and let it steep for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the tea leaves or tea bags from the pot and add the sweetened condensed milk to the tea. Stir to combine.
- If using, add the evaporated milk and stir to combine.
- Pour the tea mixture into a metal container or a heatproof glass.
- Hold the container with both hands and pour the tea back and forth between two containers, raising and lowering the containers as you pour. This process is called “tarik” which means to pull in malay language. Repeat this process until the tea becomes frothy and slightly cooled down.
- Pour the tea into a glass and enjoy it hot.
You can adjust the amount of sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk to your liking. You can also add some spices like cinnamon or cardamom for extra flavour.