Vermicelli payasam, also known as semiya payasam, is a popular South Indian dessert made with vermicelli, milk, and sugar. Here is a recipe for making vermicelli payasam:
- 1 cup of vermicelli
- 4 cups of milk
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp ghee
- Cashews and raisins for garnish
- Heat ghee in a pan over medium heat. Add the vermicelli and fry until it turns golden brown. Be careful not to burn it.
- Add 4 cups of milk to the pan and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and let the mixture simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the vermicelli is fully cooked.
- Add the sugar to the pan and stir until it is fully dissolved. Add the cardamom powder and stir to combine.
- Heat the ghee in a small pan over medium heat. Add cashews and raisins. Fry until the cashews turn golden brown.
- Add the fried cashews and raisins to the payasam and stir well.
- Serve the payasam hot or cold as desired.
You can also add some dried fruits like dates, apricot, figs for added flavour and texture.