When it comes to politics, there is no shortage of scandals. In the 21st century, we’ve seen everything from sex scandals to corruption scandals to scandals involving misuse of funds. Here are five of the most scandalous politicians of the past two decades:
1. Bill Clinton: In the 1990s, then-President Bill Clinton was embroiled in a sex scandal involving White House intern Monica Lewinsky. Clinton denied the affair for months, but eventually admitted to it and was impeached by the House of Representatives. He was acquitted by the Senate and served out the remainder of his term.
2. Eliot Spitzer: In 2008, then-New York Governor Eliot Spitzer resigned from office after it was revealed that he had been patronizing a high-end prostitution ring. Spitzer had built his career on prosecuting prostitution rings, which made his own involvement all the more scandalous.
3. Anthony Weiner: In 2011, then-Congressman Anthony Weiner was forced to resign from office after it was revealed that he had been sending explicit photos of himself to women online. Weiner initially denied the allegations, but eventually admitted to them and resigned from office.
4. Bob Filner: In 2013, then-Mayor of San Diego Bob Filner resigned from office amid sexual harassment allegations. Filner had been accused of sexual harassment by multiple women, and he eventually admitted to the allegations and resigned.
5. Chris Christie: In 2014, then-New Jersey Governor Chris Christie was embroiled in a scandal involving the misuse of funds for political gain. Christie’s aides were found to have deliberately caused a massive traffic jam on the George Washington Bridge in order to punish a political rival. Christie deny any involvement, but the scandal damaged his political career.