Eggnog is a traditional holiday drink that is made with eggs, milk, sugar, and spices. Here is a simple recipe for homemade eggnog:
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup bourbon or rum (optional)
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar until the mixture is pale yellow and thick. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, cream, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, and salt. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is hot but not boiling.
- Slowly pour the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture, stirring constantly to prevent the eggs from curdling.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Do not let the mixture boil.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the eggnog cool to room temperature. Stir in the bourbon or rum, if using.
- Transfer the eggnog to a pitcher or serving bowl and refrigerate until chilled. Serve the eggnog cold, garnished with a sprinkle of ground nutmeg or cinnamon if desired.